The Crowdsourcing Innovation Team in collaboration with the Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office (ITS JPO) Professional Capacity Building (PCB) Program is offering the crowdsourcing course through a series of five free webinars. Webinars feature State and local practitioner perspectives to complement course content. Webinars will take place the third Tuesday of each month at 1:00 p.m. EST.
The following highlights webinar dates and topics in 2023 (links to completed recordings of webinars and presentations may be pending)
- May 16, 2023: Introduction and Application Highlights
- June 20, 2023: Data Sources and Data Management
- July 18, 2023: Traveler Information and Traffic Incident Management
- August 15, 2023: Road Weather and Arterial Management
- September 19, 2023: Emergency and Work Zone Management, and Next Steps
The Crowdsourcing Course is intended for transportation operations managers, transportation analysts, consultants, and university students focusing on transportation. Because it is an introductory course, prior crowdsourcing experience is not required for participation. The course is intended to:
- Broaden participants’ understanding of how crowdsourced data from free navigation apps, vehicle probes, connected vehicles, social media, and other sources can improve transportation operations and safety.
- Help participants consider whether a specific application of crowdsourced data could meet their organization’s needs for improving transportation operations.
Crowdsourcing for Advancing Operations was a Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Every Day Counts initiatives for the 2021-2022 round (EDC-6). The program looked for innovative solutions to integrating low-cost data, such as information from smartphones or connected vehicles, into transportation systems management and operations (TSMO). To support this effort, FHWA offers “Adventures in Crowdsourcing”, a series of virtual events with industry leaders sharing their knowledge and solutions. More information on this EDC-6 Initiative, including case studies is available here.
Visit the Adventures in Crowdsourcing webinar page to view past webinars, or click on one of the links below to view a specific webinar.
- April 2023: Crowdsourced Data to Advance Transportation Operations
- September 2022: Free Navigation App Data for Better Operations
- August 2022: Crowdsourced Data for Arterial Operations
- July 2022: Work Zone Data and Crowdsourcing
- June 2022: Analytics Tools to Improve Operational Planning
- May 2022: Commercial Motor Vehicles and Crowdsourced Data
- September 2021: Open Source Code to Jump Start Analytics
- August 2021: Emergency Management
- July 2021: Vehicle Video Analytics and Connected Vehicle Data for Operations and Planning
- June 2021: Modern Data Management
- May 2021: Active Work Zone Monitoring and Management
- December 2020: New Destinations with FHWA EDC-6 Innovation
- October 2020: Business Case for Crowdsourced Data
- September 2020: Using Crowdsourced Data for Traveler Information
- August 2020: Validating Crowdsourced Data
- May 2020: Social Media for Improved Operations
- April 2020: Identifying and Managing the Back of Queues
- Feb 2020: Crowdsourcing Traffic Signal Applications
- Jan 2020: Crowdsourced Data Management and Governance
- Dec 2019: Crowdsourcing and Vendor Engagement
- Nov 2019: Engaging Navigation Provider
- Oct 2019: Crowdsourced Incident Management Tools
FHWA contacts for Crowdsourcing for Advancing Operations are James Colyar (email@example.com), Ralph Volpe (Ralph.Volpe@dot.gov), and Greg Jones (GregM.Jones@dot.gov), the FHWA EDC-6 crowdsourcing coleads .