FHWA’s Focus on Reducing Rural Roadway Departures (FoRRRwD) initiative, part of EDC-5, looks to provide systematic, targeted solutions for implementing rural road safety measures. FHWA created a series of webinars to guide state, local and tribal transportation practitioners through this new process.
Supplemental materials, such as videos, articles, and other resources may be accessed from the FoRRRwD Resources page.
- Taking Action to Reduce Rural Roadway Departures Systematically
- FoRRRwD on All Public Roads: Development of Projects and Using Data
- FoRRRwD on All Public Roads: Innovative Mechanisms to Deliver Safety Projects
- FoRRRwD Systemically: Identification of Risk Factors for Roadway Departure Crashes
- FoRRRwD Systemically: Prioritizing Locations and Projects
- FoRRRwD Countermeasures: High Friction Surface Treatment (HFST) and Continuous Pavement Friction Measurement (CPFM)
- FoRRRwD Countermeasures: Signing, Striping, and Maintenance Treatments
- FoRRRwD Countermeasures: Gravel Road Treatments, Rumble Strips and SafetyEdge, and Center Line Buffer Areas
- Moving FoRRRwD with Safety Action Plans: Statewide, Regional, and Local
- Streamlining HSIP Project Delivery
- Introduction to Roadway Departure (RwD) for Tribes
- RwD in Tribal Areas: Keeping Drivers in Their Lanes
- RwD in Tribal Areas: When Vehicles Leave the Road
For more information on the FoRRRwD initiative and resources, contact Cathy Satterfield at email@example.com, and Joseph Cheung at firstname.lastname@example.org